Sunday, August 12, 2012

Urban raptor


Apologies once again for posting another picture which I've posted on The Firefly Photo Files before.  I just haven't had the time to go though my pictures to see which haven't been posted.  Having your hard drive pack up on you isn't a fun exercise.

This Black Sparrowhawk surprised me the other day by having his dinner on my lawn.  His dinner, one of the pigeons that live in my palm tree.  The Black Sparrowhawk (Accipiter melanoleucus), is the largest African member of the genus Accipiter and occurs mainly in forests and non-desert areas south of the Sahara.  They nest in large trees and has a particular liking for suburban and human-altered landscapes which explains why you get to see them around urban areas.

1 comment:

  1. sorry to hear about your computer problems. Hope you have got it sorted soon!

    ReplyDelete