Thursday, January 29, 2015

Historic Uitenhage corrigated iron church

I am amazed at the places I have discovered while out Geocaching.  One of my recent discoveries is the Evangelical Mission Church in Uitenhage.  Approaching down the road I didn't realize the corrugated iron building was a church until I stopped, had a good look and noticed the roof lantern.  According to the cache listing "this little church is a ridged and gabled, timber framed building.  The building is a good example of a genre which has mostly disappeared.  It retained some detail features such as timber architrave surround the doors & windows as well as a roof lantern. The building is currently still in use as a church and dates back to the 1800's."

While signing the log sheet I had a peek in the door to have a look at the inside as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment