Tuesday, August 15, 2017

The Jewish Cemetery at North End

One of the things that really interested me when I visited the North End Cemetery the other day was the walled off Jewish Cemetery.  I didn't get to explore it though as the sign by the entrance says, "Code of Conduct. Please note that all visitors to the cemetery must wear appropriate dress. Men and women must cover their heads".  Turned out I didn't even have a cap in my car so I went no further than the door.  I did do a bit of a search on the net for more info and found some interesting info.  

The first interesting tidbit I discovered was that the cemetery was referred to as the Creek Jewish Cemetery.  Looking at an early layout diagram of the cemetery the creek next to it is quite prominently indicated.  Now I'm wondering, was the North End Cemetery not perhaps referred to as the Creek Cemetery in the early days?  Something to look into a bit more.

Land for the North End Cemetery was set aside in 1861 and the cemetery was laid out in 1863.  As early as 31 July 1861 the Council received a letter of application for a piece of land in the newly granted North End Cemetery.  At that stage the Jewish community had to go to great expense to convey bodies to Grahamstown for burial in the Jewish Cemetery there.  

A report in the "Eastern Province Herald" dated 31 July 1863 states: "The Jewish Burial Ground at Creek has been used for the first time on the occasion of the burial of the child of Mr. E.H. Solomon on Wednesday, 29 July 1863." The grave of this child, Aaron Solomon aged 8 years, is to be found in Row 4 of Section A. The other graves in that row cover the period up to 1871 and include one for 1903. This indicates that burials did not take place in a specific order and that they seem to have worked from the "center" out which is usual for all cemeteries of that period. 

11 comments:

  1. Quite poignant to see it, but cemeteries do have that effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How might I go about getting a photo of a grave here - Harry Brener, died 1 November 1954?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy F: Google 'eGGSA North End Cemetery Port Elizabeth'. It will take you to the site and you can navigate around the graves who are photographed and listed in alphabetical order.

      Delete
    2. How do you know which graves are in the Jewish part and which are not on this site ?

      Delete
    3. The Jewish section is walled off from the rest of thr cemetary.

      Delete
    4. Hope this message reaches you. If you still interested pls let me know and I will see what I can do to assist you. Maybe the Shul also has info.
      Regards
      Lynda Benjamin

      Delete
  3. Yes, Jonker, it was called 'Creek Cemetery' at first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my great great grandmothers sister is buried there, Martha Jane Sanger. I've heard that the Creek Cemetary was washed away many years ago and that the Jewish Cemetary was built next to the Creek Cemetary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Would like a photo of grave 44837 and 44836 please how do l obtain one ?should be samuel and sarah henen if i am correct

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I live in Port Elizabeth and was at the cemetary today. I will try to find out from the Shul. Please let me have the names and will see what I can do to help.
      Regards Lynda.

      Delete
  6. I wuld like to know how l could get photo's of grave numbers 44836 and 44837 they should be my grand parents Samuel and Sarah Henen

    ReplyDelete