Saturday, December 12, 2009

Savings lives

I know this isn't a typical PE Daily Photo, but I wanted to do a post on donating blood. I am a regular blood donor (42 donations so far) and donate blood four to five times a year. A person can donate blood every 56 days and every time you donate they take an unit which is the equivalent of 480 milliliters.
Thousands of people would die daily if there is no sufficient quality blood in stock. If one donates blood, the donor gives patients the gift money cannot buy or science cannot create. A unit of blood donation can equal three gifts of life in that almost every unit of blood is separated into red blood cells, plasma and platelets.
This time of year blood donations actually decline as a lot of people go on holiday and may put off donating till they get back to work. Currently there is a shortage of blood with only about two days of stock available in Port Elizabeth. So I would like to urge you to consider becoming a regular blood donor and save a life today.

5 comments:

  1. Great to see you post about this. I have never given blood (but last time I checked I was below the weight requirement) but it IS so important! God bless you for saving lives this way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Absolutely right about priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done!
    If I could I would but even looking at the photo sends a shiver down my spine. I know how important it is though - my son and daughter in law are both paramedics

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! I agree it is very important and more people should do it.

    I do usually although not as regularly as regularly as I would like because of low blood presssure. At the moment I have another excuse, but will get back to it as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An occasional nudge towards social responsibility is always OK with me.

    ReplyDelete