Thursday, December 13, 2012

Maitland Nature Reserve

A week or so ago I got the opportunity to venture into the Maitland Nature Reserve for the first time.  It wasn't that I've never wanted to go there, its more a case that I just never had the opportunity.  The reserve is made up of mostly indigenous coastal forest and is located just up the road from the giant Maitland sand dune.  There are two shorter trails (3km and 4km respectively) as well as a longer 9km hike.
 
  • The short 3km trail is called The Peregrine and is named after Sir Maitland Peregrine who became governor of the Cape Colony in 1844.
  • The Igolomi, Xhosa for Knysna Loerie, is a 4km walk passing through some of the thickest sections of the forest.
  • The De Stades is the 9km long trail which at one stage give you a great view of the Maitland dune is named after the river in the reserve.
Thanks to Cathy from Dempsey's Guest House who joined me on the trail and who wrote a post called Bushwhacking and tramping through the Maitland Nature Reserve for the above info on the trails.  She did her homework and research a bit quicker than me.

2 comments:

  1. Yet another place to add to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see all my favourite old places. I live in Jhb now.

    ReplyDelete