Kings Beach is a beautiful piece of white sandy beach stretching from the harbour wall up to McArthur Pool. With the royal visit to South Africa in 1947 the royal family also stopped in Port Elizabeth. The train they were travelling on was parked just above what is now the Kings Beach parking area and apparently part of the beach was fenced of for the use of the royal family. The princesses went horse riding and the king went for swims in the sea. This meant that the locals started calling it the King's beach and hence the name Kings Beach. The picture was taken from the harbour wall looking back towards Humewood.