Port Elizabeth has two beautiful cathedrals literally a couple of hundred meters away from each other in the city centre. The one is the St Mary's Anglican Cathedral while the second (in picture) is St Augustine's Catholic Cathedral.
When the first Catholic priest set foot in Port Elizabeth in 1840 (after being shipwrecked in Cape St Francis and having to travel the last 100km to town on horseback), there were only 42 Catholics in the town. In the coming years the Catholic community grew and flourished and in 1861 construction started on St Augustine's on land purchased on Castle Hill. The project took place under the watchful eye of Father Thomas Murphy. St.Augustine’s was opened and solemnly consecrated by Bishop Moran on the 25th of April 1866. The bronze statue of Christ the King which can be seen above the door was donated by the Frost family in 1931.
Click here to read the whole history of St Augustine's.