Thursday, April 9, 2009

Pin Cushion Protea

This 450 hectare Van Stadens Wildflower Reserve lies 40 km west of Port Elizabeth on the N2 to Cape Town. It is the best place near PE to see lowland fynbos with flowering Proteas and associated fynbos endemics. I used to stop there quite often in my tourist guiding days and there is always some kind of protea in bloom. In this case there were lots of pin cushion proteas in flower on this specific day I was there. The reserve is a bird watchers heaven with various walking trails covering the plateau and forested ravine.

3 comments:

  1. What a great image - very nice colours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful! I love protea! i have protea flower in my garden here in Italy after my last visit in SA in 2003, and tattoo in my back!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely picture.

    ReplyDelete