Thursday, March 17, 2011

Scottish Cemetery at St Georges

St Mary's Cemetery used to be the only cemetery in Port Elizabeth in the 1820s, but with the influx of visitors to the town it started to put a lot of strain on the little grave yard next to the Baakens River.  Small pieces of land was then given to the various Christian churches in the 1830s and 1840s along the outskirts of what was then the town.  One such piece of land was given to the Church of Scotland in 1854 on the western edge of town in part of what is today St Georges Park.  Even though I've been past there so many times, I slipped in the gate for the first time the other day to have a peek around.  In the picture is the cemetery with the St Georges Park Cricket Ground in the background.

4 comments:

  1. Great photo, those trees are so familiar. Thanks for the history, I never knew that about this cemetery. Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it yet looks a bit neglected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I featured a cemetery on my blog last week but it didn't palm trees, green grass and weeds, just snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Great great grandparents John & Sarah Dickinson lies in this cemetery

    ReplyDelete