Friday, November 11, 2011

PAG Memorial for Remembrance Day

Today, 11/11/2011, is Remembrance Day, also known as Poppy Day and Veterans Day.  It is a memorial day observed in Commonwealth countries since the end of World War I to remember the members of their armed forces who have died in the line of duty.  Remembrance Day is observed on 11 November to recall the official end of World War I on that date in 1918 with hostilities formally ended "at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month" of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice.  Without thinking I posted the War Memorial cross I was keeping for today on Wednesday, but decided to post another war memorial which can be found in St Georges Park in Port Elizabeth.  The Prince Alfred's Guard Memorial was erected in remembrance of men from the Guard that have died in a number of wars which are inscribed on the memorial.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great photo...so many historical and interesting sites in Port Elizabeth. I had no idea that there were other Veteran's Days...thanks for enlightening me :o)

    ReplyDelete