31 miles from Port Elizabeth just off the Addo road (R335) is Addo Drift. The drift was the first convenient natural crossing point on the Sundays River when travelling inland from the sea, and was used by wild animals and earlier human inhabitants as a ford. When the Europeans arrived, they followed the same route, outspaning their oxen at a point nearby.
The military post “Ados Drift” appears on the site maps dated 1815. In 1823 one William Wright, an 1820 settler, was given a grant of land near the drift. The earliest record of a license being issued to Zondagh’s River Inn, is the Cape Almanac of 1830.