Friday, June 21, 2013

Another view from the fort

Whenever you see pictures of Fort Frederick its usually of the view towards the harbour, the entrance or the interior of the fort.  I dug up a photograph which I took standing inside the fort while looking towards the Donkin Reserve.  The top of the lighthouse as well as the giant South African is visible.  Part of the Prince Alfred Guard Drill Hall can also be seen just below the lighthouse. 
 
Fort Frederick was built in 1799 by the British to defend Algoa Bay from invasion and became the first permanent structure built by the British in Africa south of the equator.

3 comments:

  1. I remember that view. Thanks for taking me to the Fort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the peach-coloured building in the middle? Looks quite impressive1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what the building was used for historically, but it currently belongs to and is occupied by Pagdens Attorneys.

      Delete