The Port Elizabeth Railway Station has been around for a while, existing on it's present location since 1875 when the first line was constructed to Uitenhage about 40 kilometres away. The original building was designed by the town's Resident Engineer for Harbour and Public Works, James Bisset. In 1893 extensive additions were completed, including the cast-iron supported roof of the main concourse, designed by E.J. Sherwood. It's a pity that rail travel has declined so much over the last few year which also means less people get to see the station.