The area of Amsterdam Hoek at the mouth of the Swartkops River in Port Elizabeth got its name from the wreck of a Dutch sailing ship. The Amsterdam was wrecked on 16 December 1817 on an return voyage from the East to the Netherlands. The ship was beached after sustaining serious damage during a storm at sea. The original find of the wreck was made in 1985 with the latest big piece being discovered in 2009. Pieces of the wreck of the Amsterdam as well as artifacts are on display in the Shipwreck Hall of the Port Elizabeth Museum at Bayworld.