Saturday, April 27, 2013

Celebrating 2000 posts

Today sees the 2000th post of Port Elizabeth Daily Photo.  PEDP first saw the light on 9 November 2007 under the penmanship of Sue and Max Hoppe, collectively known on here as SAM.  I discovered PEDP fairly early on and became a regular follower, trying to comment whenever I had a chance.  Sue and Max inspired me so much that I decided to even try my own hand at blogging.  The Firefly Photo Files was born.  In many ways that became a life changing moment for me. I was very surprised when I got an e-mail from Sue one day asking if I would be interested in taking over PEDP.  They were nearing 500 posts and felt that they needed a break.  I savoured the challenge, took over on 15 March 2009 and here I am, another 1500 posts later. 
 
Its been a roller coaster ride so far, mostly ups but every now and then I run out of inspiration, photos or time.  But that's never stopped me. What's a journey without a couple of bumps in the road anyway?  PEDP has become part of my life.  It has forced me to explore Port Elizabeth and its immediate surrounds even more than what I would have.  In doing so it also led me to many new places and back to ones I haven't been to in many years.
 
I often wish the blog would receive more comments and I wonder if its not just a waste of time.  Then I get an e-mail, a Facebook message or even a comment in person telling me how much somebody enjoys the blog, how certain pictures brought back memories or that they've seen something they never knew of and went to see or visit it.  That is what makes doing PEDP every day worth it.  
 
I have an absolute passion for Port Elizabeth and PEDP has become a record of places, things and memories to be found in and around Port Elizabeth.  Its one of the ways I can live out and share my passion.  A passion I hope would continue for another 2000 posts and beyond.       

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You'll have to trust your stats to tell you I read all posts, but comment rarely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! That's a lot of posting. And do remember it's not comments but page views that tell the story. Nice job. Keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I check it out every day and really enjoy it, don't think I've commented much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Has it really been that long since you took over? It feels just like yesterday. I am subscribed to your daily post and eagerly check my mail every day, just to see some pics of my old home town. I left PE in 1989 and miss it terribly. You pics bring back many old memories for me as well as allowing me to see the changes to PE since I have left, like the new soccer stadium built across the road from where I used to live in Prince Alfreds Rd and the developments at the board walk. You are doing an awesome job and I really appreciate it. Thanks a million.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you have taken the blog a long way Jonker and really given PE a good plug. Do not worry about the comments I am sure you are having a lot of visits. The other haff of SAM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I come here at least once a week to enjoy your photos and learn more about Port Elizabeth (I visited PE in 2007 and enjoyed it very much).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is a lot op posts. Congratulations. I enjoy your photo's and the interesting facts about PE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely love this blog, it keeps my dream of one day living in port elizabeth alive. Congratulations and you are doing a fantastic job. Your dedication is appreciated. Tamara from Germany

    ReplyDelete