Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Pearson Conservatory

The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality are currently restoring the historic Pearson Conservatory in St Georges Park. The 128 year old conservatory was opened in 1882 and has been in need of major renovations for a couple of years now. Its been very sad to see the building fall into near disrepair, so I was elated to hear the news. I remember playing around there as a child while my mom was manning her table at the monthly Art in the Park. The conservatory always had some many different kinds of plants and flowers and there was always a little artificial stream flowing through it. I can't wait to see the end result. This picture was taken a little while ago and obviously the building isn't looking like this at the moment as most of it has been taken apart for the renovation. To read the Herald article on the reservation, click here.

5 comments:

  1. That's wonderful news! I've always found the architecture of glass conservatories so beautiful, but I don't think we have a single one in the Philippines. I'd love to see one someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see the conservatory getting a face lift. I grew up just out of Chicago where I was enthralled by the conservatory there. Especially during winter field trips when it suddenly felt like the tropics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news, and a great reflection photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a pity that it was allowed to deteriorate the way it has. It used to be a real treat going there, but at least it is something to look forward to.
    Btw Sue used to sell pottery at Art in the Park, way back in the 1980's.

    ReplyDelete