Fischer's Jewellers in Port Elizabeth are one of those businesses that has been around for just about forever. In 1858 Edward Preiss from London advertised in the "Eastern Province Herald" that he has taken premises next door to the newspaper's office in Main Street and started business as a watchmaker and jeweller. In 1859 Alwin Fischer and his brother Theodore, both watchmakers, came to the Cape Colony from Saxony. Theodore opened a business in Cradock while Alwin came to Port Elizabeth and started to work for Preiss as his assistant. In 1861 Preiss' shop moved "six doors higher up where a clock hangs over the window". Preiss announced his retirement four years later and Fischer took over the running of the business. Fischer retired in 1891 but the new owner kept the name "Fischer's". The old building was demolished in 1910 with the current building completed the next year. With only a few buildings constructed around Port Elizabeth in the Art Nouveau style, the old Fischer's building in the city centre must be one of the best examples still standing.