Port Elizabeth has some truly beautiful old historic stone churches around Central. One of them is the Holy Trinity Church next to Havelock Square. The Holy Trinity Church was established in 1854 when a group broke away from St Mary’s church and started having for services in a small room in Kemp Street. They later moving to a church at the bottom of Military Road with the first church on the present site opening for worship in 1866. The original church was gutted when a deranged woman set fire to it in 1897. The current Gothic building with it's magnificent stained glass windows was built from 1898. The church was consecrated in 1957 and declared a National Monument in 1993.