Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Full Steam Ahead

Yesterday the crossings on the narrow gauge line in PE resounded with the friendly whistles of the first steam engine to ride on these tracks for almost 2 years. Citizens from all walks of life greeted the train with delight as she went on a test run out to Chelsea, in preparation for her maiden run, due soon. It is so good to have our steam train back, and we owe a big thank you to the enthusiasts who have given so much in terms of time and money, and lovingly laboured for over a year to restore this engine to working order.

It was an enormous privilege to get to ride on this first run, and enjoy the unique atmosphere generated by these magnificent old machines!

5 comments:

  1. What a treat! It's a beautiful piece of equipment and very nostalgic. Love the "apple" logo on the front. Very colourful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you on the train? Then you would have seen me running towards the track in Charlo with my camera in hand. I just got home and heard the whistle. Then I saw the smoke and jumped into my car and up the road to the railway line. Ran up to the track and got two or three shots before she passed me. I am so stoked about this. Great news for Port Elizabeth and the Apple Express.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wonderful! I have some very happy memories of trips on the Apple Express as a child, and I do believe it was on a birthday outing on the train for my mom in 1999 that Nick and I announced our intention to get married :)

    Growing up in Walmer I remember the little train's whistle being a constant feature, and nothing generated greater excitement than having to stop for the train at one of the many level crossings and have the train driver wave back at you. Wonderful news that she's up and running again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always good to see a thing of beauty restored.

    ReplyDelete
  5. firefly, I didn't see you, perhaps I was on the other side? It was so heartwarming to see so many people hanging out of windows or standing at crossings, waving. We nearly saw a couple of accidents along the road near St Peters because the drivers were so excited about following the train that they weren't looking where they were going! Please phone me on 0832619671 I need to talk to you about an idea I have re the train.

    ReplyDelete