A row of historic houses in the historic heart of Bethelsdorp. The long white building on the left is the Almshouses which was built by the London Missionary Society in 1822 as part of the mission station. They are still used to assist and accommodate the poor and destitute. The other two houses also date back to the early days of the area and both are still occupied as well. The left hand one between the Almshouses and the red one belonged to the first black school principal in Port Elizabeth.